Monday, October 6, 2008

A moment of Epic FAIL

This afternoon at the WalMart parking lot:

Faith and I return from WalMart shopping to the parking lot and the truck where we had left Ellie and Amanda. We unload the bags into the truck bed, open the doors and climb in the truck. The radio is playing. I note that the airconditioning feels nice and cold.

I then begin to look for the truck key.

(...after a minute of watching me look...)

Faith: "Please tell me your not still looking for your keys."

Me: "I know, I'm so scatterbrained, I always lose them but it's just the one key..."

I continue digging through my purse and checking my pockets. Faith stares.

Faith: "Uhhhh....Liz?"

Me: "What?"

Faith starts to laugh. I look up from my frantic key search, envisioning myself having dropped it in someone else's cart or lost it somewhere in the bread-and-all-things-carbohydrate-isle.

Then I finally notice.

The key? It's in the ignition. It's been there for the half hour that I left Ellie and Amanda in the truck, it was there when I got IN the truck and even NOTICED that the air conditioning and radio were on full blast, and it was in there for the three full minutes that I sat and looked for it. In plain view from where I was sitting - in the driver's seat. It wasn't just that I was spacey enough not to notice the key was already in the ignition, but was all "OMG I know I lose my keys all the time" when Faith was trying to tell me where it was, while I sat and looked for another minute, still not getting it.

That to me is like, beyond a brain fart... it's what I like to call an Epic Fail.
More moments of FAIL

2 comments:

JessiTRON said...

Wait. Did the truck start? because if the vehicle started, that was not an epic fail.

That's my trick: leave the keys in the car all day. get out to the car in the evening and... success! the door is not locked! but they've been in the "on" position all day and the battery is dead, dead, dead. So dead that a jumpstart won't help it.

Rachel said...

Haha. Yeah, I sometimes lock my keys in the car, in the ignition. At least I usually remember to turn the car off before I lock them in there.