Sunday, October 26, 2008

Happy Birthday To Me

For the big 2-4 I decided to take a trip back home to Chattanooga to hang out with my family. Doesn't sound that exciting to some I suppose, but I was thrilled. I'm a very blessed person in that while things aren't always perfect, my family has always been close and we get along well together - we have the same sense of humor, we make each other laugh, and genuinely enjoy each other's company. Not too many families can say that, I don' t think.

The trip up last Friday afternoon was rainy but uneventful - but I don't think I've ever been so excited to be home. I got home around 4 and my mother was still asleep - when she woke up, she was so happy to see me that she didn't even have her Disgruntled-Hour-of-Just-Woke Up-So-Don't-Talk-To-Me-Get-Me-A-Soda-Now-Angsty-ness. Trust me, that's love.

My actual birthday was three days later, that Monday, and I scored from the parents: two Cubs shirts, pajamas, some new books, Heroes DVDs (thanks Dad!), cash, some pretty green nail polish from Ellie, and gas money for my trip to TN from Aunt Celia and Billy (thanks again!). It was a wonderfully quiet day spent in my pajamas doing mostly nothing - we ordered Chinese, had sinfully delicious cheesecake, watched movies and, yes, snarked at TV shows. It's what we do best. Some families have "athletic talent" or "artistic ability" - my family makes hilarious sarcastic jokes at the television (probably more amusing to us than others, but still). It's a rare and under-appreciated gift.

My five days went by all-too-quickly, I already miss home again terribly. Four hours is so far! I definitely need to be on the other side of Atlanta, at least. That umbilical cord only stretches so far. And only a few months until school systems start hiring for the next year! A few...four or five...whatever.The trip back was really nice though, beautiful weather, little traffic, and a gorgeous sunset that followed me back to Warner Robins. It's finally starting to feel like Fall here!

There's not much else to update on - besides everyone failing my "how well do you know me" facebook quiz, there was a misguided 2 hours spent in the truck with Faith and Ellie, wandering around Central Georgia the other night, including a foray into the rather seeder parts of Macon, but that's another story for another blog entry. I'll just tell you that the phrases "Corn! Why is there corn?" and "Gas THIS" were said, and let your imagination chew on that for a while.

Let's see, what else. Today at church we had a guest speaker who was a white South African, you know, with a British accent, and everyone knows how British accents make me happy. In other news, trying to find substituting work is going paaaaaaaaaaaaaainfully slow, but it's a good lesson in patience if nothing else. Also, don't see the movie Quarantine (unless you're Nick, but I don't think he reads this, sooo) unless you really like shaky camera work and gory horror movies where every single character dies. It would probably be fine on TV but not on the big screen, as poor Aunt Celia can attest to.

So. . . is it Thanksgiving yet?

Phrase of the Moment: "YAT-TA!" - Because Heroes, and Hiro, are awesome. Yes, Rachel, Sylar is awesome too.

Quote of the Moment: "We're being split up, you know, plugs in one car and outlets in the other." - Aunt Celia. Ha!

Video of the Moment: - New Harry Potter 6 Trailer! Yes, I'm excited. Hush up with your "But it's still 8 months away".

2 comments:

cherigrace said...

hahahahaha.I wanna hear about the "Gas THIS" I presume the corn was because you ummmm, wandered a bit off course.
yes, it was the best five days ever!! And I really can't remember the last time I woke up without the hour-of-crabby-horror feeling; so it's definitely, definitely love. I remember feeling that way when I woke up on Christmas, and when Celia woke me up at like 4 am to say Cyndi had come home with baby Jessica (whom I'd never seen) I actually sprang out of bed and almost fell down the stairs.
it's cold here!! the fireplace is on!! but Nick isn't here to text anyone.

Rachel said...

Sylar IS awesome. And it is going to be even more awesome when you and I hit the big TN together. Words cannot express my excitement.

And I can't wait to hear about "Corn? Why is there corn?"

Also: I posted a new blog for the first time in like, a year. Or maybe a month.